Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bike Trail Ettiquette

Jacob, Hannah and I went for a bike ride together yesterday morning to a park about a mile from our apartment. It was the first time Jacob went for a longer ride on the trail. And this ride involved passing some people walking on the trail. I decided it was best if Jacob went first. So as we approached the first walker we had to pass, I reminded Jacob that he should say "passing on the left" before passing. I didn't say much else thinking he had heard me use this phrase when passing walkers/joggers on our bike before. Before I knew it he was right next to the older women walking and he shouts at the top of his lungs "PASSING ON THE LEFT!" The women literally jumped off the trail onto the grass on the side. And I rode by with my head hanging down - totally embarrassed -- and said in a quiet voice "sorry".

I coached Jacob a bit as continued along on our ride -- worried that this would happen again. He then proceeded to practice saying the phrase over and over again in different tones and volumes as we rode along.

He had a chance to practice this skill again as we had to pass an elderly couple walking on the trail. I was nervous as we approached them wondering which style and tone he was going to use. But he used a normal speaking voice and alerted them in advance that he was going to pass. And they thanked him. Phew....


No comments: